3649 St. John's Lane
A long unused cemetery located on the east side of St.John’s Lane just south of Frederick Road (Rt. #l4) in the 2nd District of Howard County. Originally the family graveyard of the Whipps of Oakland Mills, it was evidently also used by the general public. In 1960 it was neglected and overgrown with trees and brush, with the entire area being covered with an almost impenetrable cover of honeysuckle. It is possible that some stones were not found because of the dense growth.
Reference: A Maryland Genealogical Records, unpublished, DAR Library, Volume 31, pages 101-03
Details can be found in the Howard County Genealogical Society Publication: Tombstone Inscriptions from a Few Cemeteries in Howard County Maryland
, Colonel Thomas Dorsey Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Ellicott City, 1958-1960, page 14-16. To purchase from our store click here
It is now maintained as a garden cemetery by volunteers. See the link below: