On a regular basis, we send out e-mails with notices of upcoming Zoom meetings, renewal reminders, and newsletters (to those who have requested e-mailed newsletters). We are hearing from some of you that you haven’t received some of these e-mailings. There are several possible causes — problems with our website e-mail program, problems with your e-mail programs, minor conflicts between the many servers involved, etc. — so we’re not sure what needs “fixed”. However, there are several steps you can take to help ensure that you do receive our e-mails.
- First, check your Spam or Junk folder. Many times, the receiving computer does not recognize the message as coming from a legitimate (or desired) source and deposits the message in the Spam or Junk folder. When found, you can usually mark them as “Not Spam (or Junk)” or “Move to Inbox” and that will correct the problem for future messages.
- Special note for Verizon FIOS subscribers. In the past year Verizon sold their email service to AOL. Since then, all email addressed to you using the verizon.com address goes to AOL. It may be that you will need to check your AOL spam folder to find any email that may have been erroneously filtered out as spam.
- Add Howard County Genealogical Society (HCGS) to your Address Book/Contacts List and include our two most commonly used e-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Most systems will check incoming e-mails against your address book/contacts list to determine whether or not they are desirable.
- If in doubt, check the HCGS website: hcgsmd.org.
- Upcoming meetings are posted on the Home page in the right-hand (red) column and under the Events heading in the left-hand column. Under the Events heading, you can also choose the category of meeting you are searching for.
- All newsletters are posted under the Members Only heading in the left-hand column — this is visible once you have logged in.
- Your membership information is also posted under the Members Only heading. Select Profile and you will see your membership plan, expiration date, and contact information. If you’re not sure when your renewal is due, go by the expiration date.
If you still have problems receiving our e-mails or have other questions relating to use of the HCGS website, please let us know by using the convenient Web Contact Form, found under the Contact heading in the left-hand column.